Ten books

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Carl Manchester

Ten books

Post by Carl Manchester »

I've made a list of 10 books that Legamus could record, just really in an attempt to demonstrate the worthwhile-ness of getting the project off the ground. I've tried to include a mix of languages, but I also have to confess to not being familiar with very much literature that isn't in either English or French.

I've also learnt that a big problem with stuff that is not in the Public Domain in the US and is not in English is that it is not necessarily easy to find good quality texts online.

Please feel free to post a better list if you're not impressed with this one!

----------------------------------------

DH Lawrence - Lady Chatterley's Lover

Federico García Lorca - Diván del Tamarit

Ludwig Wittgenstein - Philosophische Untersuchungen (this one may need a second opinion as to whether it really is PD)

Paul Nizan - La Conspiration

Maxim Gorky - Дело Артамоновых (The Artamonov Business)

Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa - Il Gattopardo

F Scott Fitzgerald - The Last Tycoon

George Orwell - Such, Such Were the Joys (I would like to claim this for a solo project)

E du Perron - Het Land van Herkomst

Virginia Woolf - To the Lighthouse
Hokuspokus

Re: Ten books

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Carl,

Great that you are here. The books sound all very interesting. Unfortunately Virginia Woolf and Wittgenstein aren't pd here yet. Works enter the public domain on Jan 1. of the year that follows the 70th death year of the author.
Virginia Woolf died 1941, so she will be pd next year, for Wittgenstein we have to wait another 10 years. I removed the links from your post to keep things tidy.
Carl Manchester

Oh yeah, you're right about Virginia Woolf, I wasn't counting properly. Still, it's never too early to prepare.

Philosophical Investigations should be PD on the face of it, though, because it was published posthumously in 1953, so death plus 50 would apply in the EU. Slightly complicated, because it was first published in German with an English translation, both in one volume. I'm guessing it would be okay if you only read the German. But maybe not...
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Might be true in some countries of the EU, but for Germany it is 70 years and no excuse.
Were have you found the information about 50 years for posthumous publications? I'd like to have a look on that.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I think the UK has less tight rules than most other EU countries, I've heard that one before I think.
Nadine
Carl Manchester

I thought we were supposed to be all snuggled up and harmonised now. Is that a loophole that Germany doesn't have? Oh, well, at least there's still the rule about nothing being illegal on a public holiday. I presume that's in force everywhere :?: .
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Hi Carl, welcome over here :)
Carl Manchester wrote:E du Perron - Het Land van Herkomst
I never really noticed this author; somehow he didn't appear on the obligatory list we had to read in high school and before my LV-life I wasn't too much into literature. But this looks interesting :) Only problem is the length (over 500 pages :shock: )
I thought we were supposed to be all snuggled up and harmonised now.
Er ... no, not really (really not)! For my profession I'm working with a set of EU-regulations at a different area, and we run into silly national rules on a daily basis (although it's getting better and better, very slowly).
Oh, well, at least there's still the rule about nothing being illegal on a public holiday. I presume that's in force everywhere :?: .
Really? Mmm, I should have figured that yesterday while my mother in-law ... oh well, never mind :mrgreen:

Seriously, I 've never heard of this (but that doesn't say too much). I know that many people build dormer windows on their houses without permission during the long Easter or Pentecost weekend, but that's because then the municipality officers have an extra day off too and won't notice ;) It's still not allowed. How come that publishing books that are not PD would be? Or maybe I'm completely missing the point :? :lol:
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

I split up the topic, so we now have a new one about websites with book texts that are PD in the EU (but not necessarily in the US).
algy pug

Post by algy pug »

George Orwell died in 1950 - so. to my understanding, his works will not be PD in death+70 countries until 2020. Unless the reader is in Australia, where the work of any author who died before 1955 is in the PD.......

Cheers

Algy Pug
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I think it's something to do with the fact that it was published posthumously, Algy. Though, for the life of me, I can't find any reference to posthumous works in UK government legislation or the UK Copyright Service website.

Please, if anyone knows where it is, do tell!

Ruth
Tuberous Chairs

Post by Tuberous Chairs »

This flowchart "explains" UK copyright rules:
http://www.museumscopyright.org.uk/private.pdf
If I've understood it correctly, copyright is always at least 70 years after a known author's death but may be even longer - 50 years after publication - if publication is more than 20 years after death.
"why,he used to say to his friends,he used
"for getting a debutante give me Prused""

ee cummings
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have never seen how anything by George Orwell can be PD here - posthumously published or not.

Ruth
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Apart from Lovecraft, already mentioned in other thread, I found these:
- some of the late works by Arthur Conan Doyle, also non-Sherlock Holmes ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Con ... bliography
- most of Robert. E. Howard's stuff (that's the guy behind Conan :twisted: ) He died in 1936.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._ ... bliography

I haven't checked their availability in databases, though. Some of these works are definitely available on Wikisources, but they often don't quoote the edition, as you know.