Complete [ITALIAN] Il Profeta di Khalil Gibran

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
cf360

Complete [ITALIAN] Il Profeta di Khalil Gibran

Post by cf360 »

Hello,

I've made a recording of The Prophet by Khalil Gibran in Italian.

Here is the link : http://ge.tt/9KqUulU/v/0?c

I don't know how to proceed to have it published in the catalog.

Information :

Solo
Book Title: Il Profeta
Author: Khalil Gibran
Dates of birth and death of author: 1883-1931
Language: Italian
Date of first publication: 1923
Wikipedia link to author: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Gibran
Wikipedia link to book: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_profeta_%28libro%29
Licence : CC BY-NC
Piotrek

Re: Complete [ITALIAN] Il Profeta di Khalil Gibran

Post by Piotrek »

First of all, hi :)
That's a great news :) I just checked the Wikipedia link which you posted and I saw that there are at least 2 Italian translations. Which one did you use? Could you give us info about the translator's death date and the edition you used? That's important becuase we need to kow if the translation you used is in the Public Domain.
cf360

Post by cf360 »

Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hello,

the first step is that I move this thread into the "New Project Launch Pad", because even though you finished recording, from our point of view it's a new project. As Piotrek wrote, we must know the date of death of the translator and anyone else involved in writing the text (e.g. the last paragraph mentions a 1972 publication, so at least that final paragraph cannot be in the public domain).

We can only make recordings of texts where all authors are dead since more than 70 years. Modern translations "given to the public domain" don't count; in the best case, they'd be equivalent to a Creative Commons license, and that must be explicitly stated by the translator.
cf360

Post by cf360 »

hi again,

1972 don't concern the text but another text (a study of Gibran by Kahlil S. Hawi).

The site where I took the text tells in its Terms & conditions :

"Cooperatorum Veritatis Societas does not claim the copyright on texts but rather on their formatting and will retain the relevant "moral rights". Citation will be appreciated. Source and/or copyright of Authors/Editors other than DCO must always be reported. "

here : http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/a ... tions.html

Author of the text is not mentionned on documentacatholicaomnia.eu, so it should be attributed to "documenta catholica omnia" called "DCO" in the T&C.

Right or wrong ?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hello!
cf360 wrote:1972 don't concern the text but another text (a study of Gibran by Kahlil S. Hawi).
The year 1972 is mentioned in a "Note" right after the translation. My point is just that whoever wrote that "Note" cannot be in the public domain.
The site where I took the text tells in its Terms & conditions :

"Cooperatorum Veritatis Societas does not claim the copyright on texts but rather on their formatting and will retain the relevant "moral rights". Citation will be appreciated. Source and/or copyright of Authors/Editors other than DCO must always be reported. "
Unfortunately, those Terms & Conditions also contain words like:
"Despite the fact that the reported texts are in the public domain, some of them are still under the copyright of the compiler(s) and/or editor(s), who always must be cited."
Author of the text is not mentionned on documentacatholicaomnia.eu, so it should be attributed to "documenta catholica omnia" called "DCO" in the T&C.

Right or wrong ?
I'm afraid that at the moment, I have to say "Wrong". "DCO" is not an author for us. We must know when the translator died, then we know whether it's in the public domain (and Legamus can catalog it) or not.

I know that the following remark is not very helpful for you at the moment, but in the future, if you haven't yet done your recording, it's always best to discuss the text source before in the "New Projects Launch Pad". It's most unfortunate and very annoying to you when we cannot publish your recording because it's not in the public domain.

However, if the translator is still alive and agrees (e.g. under a Creative Commons license) you are always free to publish your recording elsewhere!
cf360

Post by cf360 »

Hello,

As DCO, Terms&conditions says :
"Despite the fact that the reported texts are in the public domain, some of them are still under the copyright of the compiler(s) and/or editor(s), who always must be cited."
Maybe DCO would have been the first to mention an author if an author needed or wanted to be cited.
I think they apply first what they want others to apply. :idea: Otherwise that's not fair.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Alas, what DCO does is quite common: there are many text sources out there that "in general" only take public domain works, except for exceptions. That's why those sites that do thoroughly check sources - the original Gutenberg, Wikisource - are so valuable.

Yes, ideally no one would ever upload anything without full disclosing all sources. Ideally, no one would ever upload anything on Youtube where they don't own the copyright. But in reality, people do, with all resulting problems.

We don't know who uploaded the translation to DCO - just some user? the admins? But there clearly was at least one translator involved, so we need to know his/her life dates. Maybe you could try to contact DCO, as their data entry seems to be missing this vital information?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Moved to "Book Suggestions" as long as the status is not cleared.