Solo [EN]Argonauts of the Western Pacific, B.Malinowski-vik

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Piotrek

Solo [EN]Argonauts of the Western Pacific, B.Malinowski-vik

Post by Piotrek »

Argonauts of the Western Pacific by Bronisław Malinowski (1884-1942)
In this seminal work Bronisław Malinowski studies the institution of the Kula ring gift exchange.
The Kula ring spans 18 island communities of the Massim archipelago, including the Trobriand Islands and involves thousands of individuals. Participants travel at times hundreds of miles by canoe in order to exchange Kula valuables which consist of red shell-disc necklaces (veigun or soulava) that are traded to the north (circling the ring in clockwise direction) and white shell armbands (mwali) that are traded in the southern direction (circling counterclockwise). (Temporary summary culled from Wikipedia)
Text source: http://wolnelektury.pl/katalog/lektura/ ... cific.html (please only read from this text!)

Prooflistener: NinaBrown

Magic Window - Google.doc

Intro, Outro and Disclaimer for CC0:
At the beginning of each file please say:
[Section number] of [book title by Author]. This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.
(if you wish: Read by [your name]**)
[Chapter title]

At the end of each section please say:
End of [Section number]
(if you wish: Read by [your name]** )
At the end of the project please say additionally:
"End of book title by author. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Legamus.eu"

**Please add your name at the beginning or the end, not in both places.

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
argonauts_##_malinowski.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Author name
Album: Book title
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Use http://ge.tt - you do not need to log in, anonymous mode is sufficient.
Alternatively, plese read this tutorial: http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

And now?
Please check for new posts in this thread until your section has been prooflistened.

Happy recording :)
Last edited by Piotrek on Thu 23. May 2013, 16:05, edited 6 times in total.
Piotrek

Re: Argonauts of the Western Pacific by B. Malinowski

Post by Piotrek »

I mentioned this work in the thread dedicated to authors whose works were about to enter the PD.
More about Malinowski can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronis%C5%82aw_Malinowski

This is slightly intimidating due to the sheer size of the work- nearly 200k words, almost 3 times the length of my longest solo so far.
In this work the author studies the institution of Kula Ring object exchange, but also gives a very comprehensive picture of those aspects of the natives' life which are to some extent linked to the this custom. This one should make for an interesting reading and listening, if you're interested in anthropology, ethnography, or just little-known cultures .

There are 22 chapters (anywhere from 4500 to 19000 words), which are subdivided into conveniently small "divisions". I've done some word-counting, but I haven't decided yet which divisions will go together, so I can't give a definitive number of sections. In any case, I can add them as I go, right? ;)

The book was originally written in 1922 (so theoretically it qualifies for LV, but as I don't have access to a sufficiently early edition, I'll be reading from one published in 1932.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Argonauts is arguably the most "famous" book in the history of anthropology, and its influence on generations of anthropologists has been profound.
...says Wikipedia

To my shame, I never heard the name Malinowski before. Sounds fantastic! Do you want to do it as a solo, Piotrek? or a group project?

Of course you can put up sections as you go. I can be MC.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Solo. I should have mentioned that before. (BTW. does the "thread title" field have a character limit? I omitted the "SOLO" bit there, because I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be too much together with title and the author's name).

Also, I'd like to have an MW for this one. It's going to have lots of sections, and without MW it can become confusing both for me and for the PLer.

And thanks for your MCing offer. Welcome onboard :)
Viktor

Re: Solo [EN] Argonauts of the Western Pacific, B.Malinowski

Post by Viktor »

Yes, there is a limit for the subject line. You'll notice it by not being able to write more. One just has to be creative about where to abbreviate. I'd say that "Solo" is more important than the full title.

MW is set up, you should have write access.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Ok, I added a few initial sections.
Now, let's wait and see if there's anyone willing to PL :)
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

"Preface" is in the Magic Window.
Duration: 28:26
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

The first part of the Introduction is in the Magic Window.
Piotrek

Re: ~Solo [EN]Argonauts of the Western Pacific, B.Malinowski

Post by Piotrek »

OK, the second part of intro is in the MW.
Regarding what I said in the PM, I'd like you to re-name the file I've just uploaded, changing its name from "3a" to "3". The previously-uploaded file ("3") needs to have the intro and outro re-recorded so I'll just take care of the file name in the process.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

No problem!
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

The last part of the introduction is up. Now for the work proper :)
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

NinaBrown has offered to PL this project. I put her name in the opening post.
Today I started recording chapter 1.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Thank you, Nina!

Moving to Readers Found.
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Preface PL ok - there is a typo in the title in the metadata: "... of the he Western..."
I don't seem to have write access to the Magic Window...
-nina-
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

I've opened the second part - the 03 number - it is recorded in stereo and there is a typo in metadata - divisons instead of divisIons. Otherwise PL ok!
-nina-
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

OK, I confirm that it's in stereo. I wonder why?
As I understand, though, we don't have Internet Archive requirements to worry about, so can we leave it as it is? Alternatively, can it be changed without re-recording? Does it need to be changed, i.e. does it sound different?

By the way, until I changed the way of handling the microphone, I would frequently notice some background noises, which I assume had something to do with the mike. I thought it was the air hitting the mike, but I was told that there were several other possible reasons. Did you notice that? If so, did you find that problematic?

I understand that the typos can be fixed at Viktor's end. Just write what needs fixing, as you just did.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Nina, I've sent you a PM for MW access.

Yes, no need to re-upload files for metadata typos! I'll go through them at publication time.

The second part is in "joint stereo". I can downmix that to mono, that's a re-encoding of the file. Piotrek, I guess you don't have the original recording as a WAV or FLAC file any more?

We do want mono at the end, though. Regardless of Internet Archive requirements, anything else just doesn't make sense. If the file would be "simple stereo" it would be even worse, because it means that half the quality gets wasted by two independent tracks. The 128kbps would only be "worth" 64kbps. With "joint stereo", it's only the re-encoding which might cost a tiny bit of quality.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I've only got the .aup file of the 03 I don't make FLAC or WAV. So do I have to re-record this?

By the way, I've got 3 more sections recorded, and waiting for editing :D

EDIT: I don't mind some quality loss if it means I can avoid re-recording (and let's face it, this one is quite unlikely to become an instant hit, anyway :roll: )
Also, does either of you have any idea how this could have happened? I don't remember fiddling with any such settings :shock: )
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

No need to record again, the loss in quality will be tiny.

But if you still have the .aup and all its data - that is the original data. Maybe the recording itself happened in stereo mode. Can you re-open the .aup and see whether there are two tracks? Then you can tell Audacity to "Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono" and re-export to MP3. That way, there is absolutely no loss in quality - it's only the re-encoding of an MP3 file which is responsible for that.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I opened the .aup file and it's in mono.