COMPLETE ENG [Solo] Within a Budding Grove by Proust - hok

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
Tuberous Chairs

COMPLETE ENG [Solo] Within a Budding Grove by Proust - hok

Post by Tuberous Chairs »

Within a Budding Grove by Marcel Proust (1871-1922), translated by C K Scott-Moncrieff (1889-1930)
Date of first publication: 1924

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=72
In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past (French: À la recherche du temps perdu) is a semi-autobiographical novel in seven volumes by Marcel Proust. His most prominent work, it is popularly known for its extended length and the notion of involuntary memory, the most famous example being the "episode of the madeleine."

Begun in 1909, finished just before his death in 1922, and published in France between 1913 and 1927 "... [the] novel has had a pervasive influence on twentieth-century literature, whether because writers have sought to emulate it, or attempted to parody and discredit some of its traits. In it, Proust explores the themes of time, space, and memory, but the novel is above all a condensation of innumerable literary, structural, stylistic, and thematic possibilities."

"Within a Budding Grove" (A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur", literally "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower"), the second volume in the sequence, won the Prix Goncourt in 1919. In it, the narrator meets several characters who are to prove very important in his life and in the novel - the aristocrat Robert de Saint-Loup, an eccentric snob called the Baron de Charlus and a group of girls including a certain Albertine Simonet. (Summary by Wikipedia and Andrew Coleman)
Text source: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300401.txt (please only read from this text!)
Prooflistener: Martin Geeson

Magic Window - Google.doc

Intro, Outro and Disclaimer for CC0:
At the beginning of each file please say:
[Section number] of Within a Budding Grove by Marcel Proust, translated by CK Scott-Moncrieff. This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any non-commercial purpose, as long as Legamus is credited.
(if you wish: Read by [your name]**)
[Chapter title]

At the end of each section please say:
End of [Section number]
(if you wish: Read by [your name]** )
At the end of the project please say additionally:
"End of Within a Budding Grove by Marcel Proust. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Legamus.eu"
**Please add your name at the beginning or the end, not in both places.

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
buddinggrove_##_proust.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Marcel Proust
Album: Budding Grove
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Use http://ge.tt - you do not need to login, anonymous mode is sufficient.
Alternatively, please read this tutorial: http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148 (note for downloaders)
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

Happy recording :)

Date of first publication: 1924
Number of sections the project will have: (please note that the sections should be less than 70 minutes long): 40 (estimate)
Does the project have a preface that will be recorded as a separate section? N
Category (Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama): Fiction
Tags that describe the book (like: place, time, historical people/events, mystery, fairy tale, horror/ghost story, philosophy, ... : French literature, Original title was À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs (In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower), Second volume of À la Recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past or In Search of Lost Time)
Summary for the catalog (from Wikipedia or written by you): In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past (French: À la recherche du temps perdu) is a semi-autobiographical novel in seven volumes by Marcel Proust. His most prominent work, it is popularly known for its extended length and the notion of involuntary memory, the most famous example being the "episode of the madeleine."

Begun in 1909, finished just before his death in 1922, and published in France between 1913 and 1927 "... [the] novel has had a pervasive influence on twentieth-century literature, whether because writers have sought to emulate it, or attempted to parody and discredit some of its traits. In it, Proust explores the themes of time, space, and memory, but the novel is above all a condensation of innumerable literary, structural, stylistic, and thematic possibilities." [Wikipedia]

Licence: Attribution Non-Commercial CC BY-NC

Although I'm an experienced recorder for Librivox (as English Andrew) this is my first Solo project so I hope I'm doing this right!
"why,he used to say to his friends,he used
"for getting a debutante give me Prused""

ee cummings
neckertb

Re: Within a Budding Grove - Proust

Post by neckertb »

Hello Andrew

Sorry it took so long before we saw your post, we are so few people here that I don't think any of us checks every day but we should :roll:

Your template looks fine to me, but I only had a really quick look, as I am super busy these days, so I can't MC this just yet, but that should not prevent you from starting and uploading, the MC here is mostly needed for cataloging anyway.

You'll want to see this post for the disclaimer.

As for the rest, since you know LV, I guess you'll be fine, but shout if not :D
Nadine
Hokuspokus

Re: Eng[Solo] Within a Budding Grove by Proust - hok

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hello Andrew,

I'm your MC for this project.
We use a google doc for the Magic Window https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html
It would be great if you could add chapter titles and the links to the recordings. To give you access to the spread sheet, I need to know your Google ID. Could you please get one, in case you don't one already, and tell me in an PM? It's quite harmless.

I've edited your fist post. One question about the disclaimer. The standard text says: "This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any non-commercial purpose, as long as Legamus is credited." You can of course ask to be credited as reader: " ... , as long as the reader is credited.

This is all still very new and by far not as comfortable as Librivox. We learn with every step. So please speak up when anything seems strange or could be made in a better way.

I will delete the other double post.

Oh, and please tell my how you what to be called on the catalog page. At the moment it's you username.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I move us to Readers Found. (Forgot about it the other day.)

About PL - we are very few people here. Maybe you know someone from LV whom you could ask?
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Hi Andrew

I'd be pleased to DPL. I've been a recidivist reader of Proust since my teens. (Writing this about 150 metres from the Hampshire border, by the way.)

All the best
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Martin Geeson wrote: I've been a recidivist reader of Proust since my teens.

All the best
Why am I not surprised? :mrgreen:
Nadine
Tuberous Chairs

Delighted to have a DPL, especially one so close. I've sent the first 2 sections.
Section 1: http://dl.free.fr/e9mXO1gua 42.06 length 38.05MB
Section 2: http://dl.free.fr/ehYcOZDKG 42.37 length, 39.0MB
What do I do about the deletion codes?
Andrew

ee cummings
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Welcome on board, Martin. I PM you about what we use as magic window.

Andrew, you can keep the deletion code or forget it. The files get deleted by the host after some time. Most important that you keep the files until the project is cataloged. I save them here, too.
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Hi

Section 01 and 02 passed PL all OK, and signed off on spreadsheet (still seems strange).

Enjoyed your supple reading of those great waves of sentences.

Best
Martin
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Martin Geeson wrote: (still seems strange).
It is, but it's only for the beginning. Viktor will build us our own magic window.
Tuberous Chairs

Section 3 uploaded:
http://dl.free.fr/r4BLt4M9Q
42.8Mb
46.47mins.
By the way, I've heard that Neville Jason is currently recording Remembrance of Things Past unabridged for Naxos (he's already done an excellent abridged version). As a friend said - "It's a Proust-off!" At least we can beat Naxos on price!

ee cummings
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Tuberous Chairs wrote:Section 3 uploaded:
http://dl.free.fr/r4BLt4M9Q
42.8Mb
46.47mins.
By the way, I've heard that Neville Jason is currently recording Remembrance of Things Past unabridged for Naxos (he's already done an excellent abridged version).
I mostly enjoyed his abridged version. Best thing in it for me was his Gielgud-like Charlus. The scene where (Marcel) destroys the Baron's hat makes me roar with laughter.

Looking forward to commuting with Section 3.

Martin
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Hi

Section 3 - Edit needed. At 25:14 you made a couple of false starts at the sentence beginning: "Among the people to whom this sort of marriage appeared ridiculous...".

All else OK.

Best
Martin
Tuberous Chairs

I'm glad you picked that up. Thanks. False starts deleted and file re-uploaded.
http://dl.free.fr/rjg0zVGSr
46.32m
42.6MB.

When I was reading Swann's Way I kept thinking Legrandin is John Gielgud. Do you commute by train, Martin? If so, we probably pass one another since I take the Portsmouth Harbour-Waterloo line to work.

ee cummings
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Hi

Edit passed and Section 3 now marked PL OK on s/sheet.

Yes I take that line, but only as far as Guildford; usually on the 07:26 or 07:35 out of Haslemere. I think of it as a commute because I have a 20-minute+ walk either end. I ache to retire.
Tuberous Chairs

Section 4 uploaded:
http://dl.free.fr/oPl44zRaz
38.5 MB
42.05 min

ee cummings
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Hi

You have repeated the opening of a sentence at 05:22 -
from "Oh sir," to how much I admired them. Otherwise PL all OK.

All the best
Martin
Tuberous Chairs

Oops. Sorry. Thank you for catching that.
Re-uploaded
http://dl.free.fr/iIs3bM5Gn
38.4MB
41.57 mins

ee cummings
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Section 4 now marked PL OK.

There seems to be a discrepancy with the naming of the files on the google docs spreadsheet (?) - I can't myself fix it, but perhaps you will ne able to.

Best
Martin
Tuberous Chairs

What exactly is the discrepancy you want fixed?
I've noticed a phrase repeat in Section 3 at 26.37 "Now fully as much" etc. I'll edit this out and reupload once I've finished checking this section for any other slips.

ee cummings