COMPLETE solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Re: solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Post by Newgatenovelist »

This is a very brief note to say that I'll be offline for a few days - I'm hoping about a week - from Monday. Please do carry on uploading if you've any sections, just know that it'll be a little while before I can PL.
RobMarland

Re: solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Post by RobMarland »

No problem. I have neglected this project, as others took over my attentions. I do intend to continue.
Newgatenovelist

Whoops, it looks like there was a slight delay in receiving the notification. It's nice to hear about the Boston of the period, though, and I'm pleased Lucy Stone was included. She was quite the figure.

Section 4 is spot PL OK and section 8 is PL OK. I'll listen to the other sections this coming week. And no worries about being distracted by other projects - I certainly have that malady myself, and my to-read queue grows longer every year.
Newgatenovelist

Sorry for the delay - the notification only came through today. I'll try just to drop by periodically, and with luck that will keep things moving along more readily.

One note for section 14:

6.18, bottom p 173, omission
[The Chicago editorial writers could not overlook] this partial conjunction of two great planets…
Newgatenovelist

Two notes for section 11:

11.53-11.57, bottom p 140
...in this crisis, take a carnal peek [heard peck] or two…

46.17-46.21, bottom p 151
...and William Arthur [heard Archer], the British divine...
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 15 below. This is a fascinating glimpse into the period; I'd not previously given 1880s Cincinnati a great deal of thought, but the authors make it very engaging.

8.30-8.36, p 183 last para in section 3, omission
Oscar was [not] too tired after his effort to attend the last act of The Gladiator at the Opera House...
Newgatenovelist

Section 12 is PL OK. No problem at all about doing changes at the end.

I'm impressed you've managed to keep recording this week. This year has been subdued, but the fireworks have been fairly consistent where I am and I assumed there might be a few here and there elsewhere, too.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks! It's been OK here most of the time, although of course it's mayhem now!

All the best for the new year.
Newgatenovelist

Section 13 is PL OK.

Two projects I'm PLing on LV are within an inch of being catalogued, so I might have to put this down one or two days this coming week to get those finished. But please don't slow down on account of that, if you're able to record among any late-running fireworks. I've been enjoying getting back into this book, and I really hope it finds many listeners interested in Wilde or American history.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

No worries, Erin, thanks for letting me know. It's working out for me to go at a pace of 2 or 3 sections per week, so I will try to stick to that.
Newgatenovelist

Section 17 is PL OK. One note for section 16:

28.40-28.48, last para in section p 202, repetition/alternate take
It was a fact; his mind ran to theories. It was a fact; his mind ran to theories.

You've done sterling work finding these titles about Wilde. Do you have any others lined up?
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks! Yes, I've got a copy of Lord Alfred Douglas's autobiography, which is yet to enter PD in the US.
Newgatenovelist

Section 19 is PL OK. One note for section 18:

31.02, bottom p 227, end of para omitted
...were on duty. [Omaha was unkempt, disheveled, and muddy – almost as muddy as the great Missouri River, which Wilde had crossed at Council Bluffs.]

I’m rather taken by the name Petroleum V. Nasby. Quite apart from teaching me about one part of Wilde’s life I didn’t really know very much about at all, this book is also proving an excellent introduction to American authors.

If I may ask, are you planning to launch the autobiography after this? It sounds good!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Whoops!

Yes, I will probably launch it within a week or so of finishing. I know it's quite quiet round here at the moment and I don't want to assume you would be up for PLing it, but of course if you have the time and the inclination that would be great.