COMPLETE-Selected Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft vol. 1-vik

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
Piotrek

Re: [Group] Selected Short Stories by H. P. Lovecraft - vik

Post by Piotrek »

For the purposes of Legamus, we use either the free ge.tt file storage or our own uploader (see http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2084#p2084 )
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Hi everyone,

It seems there's been no activity on this thread since last July, so I can only hope someone is still checking in reasonably often :)

This is my first post here. I've been recording over at LibriVox for a few months now, and I was recently told about Legamus by someone there after I expressed disappointment that US copyright restrictions prevented me from posting recordings of works by certain authors that I'd been looking forward to contributing.

One of these authors is H.P. Lovecraft, so I'm happy to discover the interest in him here.

I'd like to offer my recording of his story "The Alchemist" as section 7 of this collection of his shorter works.

I've uploaded it to ge.tt per the instructions on page 1. The file name is

selectedshortstories_07_lovecraft.mp3

and the link to it is here:
http://ge.tt/8D3makB1/v/0?c

Its length is 30:16, and the file size is 27.7 Mb.

I hope I've done everything right; if not, just let me know and I'll make whatever changes you need. For cataloging purposes, my full name is Martin Reyto.

Cheers,

Martin
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Yes, I'm still checking on this thread. Welcome and thank you for your file :) I'll put it in the google window and alert our PLer :)
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I listened to a part of the story. Sounds good :) I'm sure those long, endlessly winding sentences must have been a challenge to read even for a native speaker. I know I often cursed them in exasperation :roll:

Also, I release "He" (or is it "Him"? Should I inflect it :?: ) back into the pool. There's quite a bit of archaic language towards the end and I don't think I can read it convincingly. Still, I like the story (especially the "stroll through the night city" part) and it would be great if someone sharing my sentiment wanted to read it ;).

I also orphan "The Nameless City" because the reader hasn't been around for over 6 months. I'll keep it in the Google Window in case someone wants to read the story.
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

Piotr brought me here :lol:

A wonderful rendition of the Alchemist! Nothing needs changing. Thank you for the submission and this listening experience!! The Alchemist's last words are able to haunt my mind!
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Piotrek, Rapunzelina,

Thank you both for your comments. Lovecraft's long and winding sentences are indeed a challenge. Very frustrating (but also funny) to start running out of air with just a few words left to go, while thinking, "Oh no, I'm not gonna make it! Please Howard, a semicolon! A comma! A conjunction! A preposition! Anything! wheeeeeze.... gasp..." :lol:

Anyway, I'd be happy to claim both "He" and "The Nameless City," if that's ok.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Both stories are yours :)

When I was about to start reading a Lovecraft section, I usually spent some time marking the text and dividing sentenced into smaller, readable chunks. Reading the raw text would have been too frustrating.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

I've uploaded "He" and "The Nameless City" to Ge.tt.

The link is:
http://ge.tt/1JWniGC1?c

"He" :
File name: selectedshortstories_02_lovecraft.mp3
Length: 34:54 (31.9 Mb)

"The Nameless City" :
File name: selectedshortstories_06_lovecraft.mp3
Length: 43:00 (39.4 Mb)

Happy new year!

Martin
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Thank you Martin :D Happy new year to you too.

Also, the provisional Google window has just one slot left, but don't mind that, folks ;) . I can easily expand it if you want to record some other HPL stuff.
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

"He" and "The Nameless City" can be marked PL OK!

Thank you!
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Thanks Rapunzelina :)
Btw. if you need 2 sections for a story, that's OK with me too.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

That's great, thank you :)

To me, one of the really creepy features of "He" is the way the squire gradually drifts from his initial pose as the modern descendant and occupant of the manor to the revelation that he is in fact the original squire who poisoned the band of natives on the property in 1768. One of the ways this is done is with the way he talks, which begins as something the narrator hears as contemporary east-coast English and gradually horrifies him by drifting back into something much older, the vernacular of the original colonies. I put some work into trying to capture this linguistic regression, but I fear it would take a much better actor than I am to really do it justice. The way I hear it in my mind makes my back crawl. What a great story.

I have a suggestion. Instead of adding more slots to the current collection, why not re-designate it as Volume 1 of his short stories and open Volume 2 when the last slot is filled? That would make it possible to publish this one fairly soon, and there's enough material in the HPL short fiction oeuvre for two more volumes at least. Just a thought.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I know what you mean. Same thing happens at the end of "Rats in the Walls". Generally, HPL plays around with the idea of regression (manifesting itself in various ways) in several stories.

Good idea with volumes ;) I'll change the title.
Piotrek

Re: Selected Short Stories by H. P. Lovecraft vol. 1 - vik

Post by Piotrek »

I'll complete vol. 1 by contributing "The Very Old Folk".

Also, for the second part I'll be asking for a simple list of sections in the first post. This logging in, waiting for Google Docs to respond, etc. is way too annoying.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Moved to Readers Found.

For the next project, we can use the nice new MW that Crowwings wrote for us!
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

As long as there isn't much hassle involved, I'm OK with it.

The last story has been uploaded.
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

Hi Piotr!! Lovecraft suits you ;) Your section 8 is PL OK!
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Thank you, Rapunzelina.

Since section 8 has been completed, we're done with volume 1 :) A big thank you to all the participants. Part 2 will open later today.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Hmm, looks like it's not complete yet. I forgot to add the ending "end of [project title]. For more info... " I'll add it today.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Edited section 8 has been uploaded with new duration.