COMPLETE solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
RobMarland

COMPLETE solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Post by RobMarland »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://legamus.eu/blog/?p=1071

Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis (*1891 - † 1949) and Henry Justin Smith (*1875 - † 1936)[**TRANSLATORTXT**]
In 1882, Oscar Wilde toured North America from New York to San Francisco and Montreal to New Orleans, lecturing on art and home decoration. The American public, familiar with the newspaper cartoons that mocked Wilde and his fellow aesthetes, was more eager to see the young poet's long hair and knee breeches than hear him talk. Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] was the first full account of Wilde's tour to be published. Lewis and Smith paint a picture of Wilde at the very beginning of his career, and vividly conjure the cultural milieu of America towards the end of the 19th century.
(Summary by Rob Marland)
Text source: https://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/ ... a-1882.pdf (please only read from this text!)

Prooflistener: Newgatenovelist

Magic Window

Intro, Outro and Disclaimer for CC0:
At the beginning of each file please say:
[Section number] of Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith. This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.
(if you wish: Read by [your name]**)
[Chapter title]

At the end of each section please say:
End of [Section number]
(if you wish: Read by [your name]**)
At the end of the project please say additionally:
"End of Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Legamus.eu"

**Please add your name at the beginning or the end, not in both places.

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
oscarwildeamerica_##_lewissmith.mp3
(all lower-case) where ## is your section number.
(shorten the first part of the filename if too long!)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use - if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Lloyd Lewis; Henry Justin Smith
Album: Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882]
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Use http://upload.legamus.eu/ (MC/BC will provide login-info for you).
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

And now?
Please check for new posts in this thread until your section has been prooflistened.

Happy recording :)

------------for your MC -----------------------------------
Wiki author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Justin_Smith, https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Lewis
Wiki translator:
Wiki book:
published: 1936 / [language: English]
category: ### / Tags: usa, canada, oscar wilde, travel
username: [your name] / http://www.robmarland.co.uk
Section: 31 / preface: [**PREFACE**] / License: CC0
temporary headlines

---------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RobMarland on Thu 2. Jan 2020, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Newgatenovelist

Re: ~solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Rob,

Would you like me to DPL again? And if so, what level of PLing would you like?
RobMarland

Re: ~solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Erin!

This one is a lot longer than the last (probably 20+ hours), so thanks for stepping in. Much appreciated.

If you could catch any repeated lines (and, if you choose to read along, any missing lines), plus any substituted words that change the meaning, that would be great.
Newgatenovelist

Re: solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith

Well, you'd mentioned it in the project that's just wrapped up, so I thought I'd take a look.

No problem about the length. I'm just happy for there to be more audiobooks in the world.

That's fine about the PLing. Onward!
Viktor

Re: solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Post by Viktor »

Happy new year!

My pleasure to be your MC again. The MW is set up, the password is in a PM, we move to Readers Found.
RobMarland

Re: solo [ENGLISH] Oscar Wilde Discovers America [1882] by Lloyd Lewis and Henry Justin Smith - vik

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Viktor!

Erin, here is sec 7 for PL
https://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/ ... ssmith.mp3

Absolutely no rush to PL these. I will slow down a bit once my Christmas holidays are over.
Newgatenovelist

It's always nice to have a clear run at some recording/editing time, so please do carry on. I want to hear this, but I'll be slow. Another project I'm PLing has been uploaded to the end of the book, so I'll be spending more time on that than with Wilde for the time being.

These illustrations are brilliant. I knew a couple of them, but not all. The text is good, but those illustrations are the icing on the cake.

I have two notes for section 1. I wouldn't have noticed them if I hadn't been following along, but you've included them elsewhere, so it's up to you what you'd like to do.

22.41, top p. 12 [33/510], section number ‘4’ omitted

30.36, bottom half p. 15 [36], section number ‘5’ omitted

PS It's a day late, but happy Constance Lloyd's birthday, if you're feeling very Wildean.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Newgatenovelist wrote: Fri 3. Jan 2020, 18:03 I have two notes for section 1. I wouldn't have noticed them if I hadn't been following along, but you've included them elsewhere, so it's up to you what you'd like to do.

22.41, top p. 12 [33/510], section number ‘4’ omitted

30.36, bottom half p. 15 [36], section number ‘5’ omitted
Yes, there are really some good illustrations in this book. The one coming up of people crowding to get Guiteau's autograph is pretty weird.

Thanks for catching the omissions. I think I sometimes edit out the numbers accidentally because they are really short and therefore look a bit like a cough or something in the audio file. I have added them back in.

section 1 for spot PL
Newgatenovelist

I'm not sure what was going on with LV earlier when I couldn't access it, other than that it was having one of its periodic funny fits, but it's meant that I've PLed another chapter.

The background on this is really nice - it'll be good for listeners who aren't steeped in Ruskin, the Pre-Raphaelites or the culture of Punch cartoons, without over-explainig things for listeners more familiar with the era. It's a nice choice for a project.

Section 1 is spot PL OK. One note for section 2, which is of the same stripe as before:

20.12, top third p. 25 [48/510], section number ‘4’ omitted
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Newgatenovelist wrote: Sat 4. Jan 2020, 20:43 One note for section 2, which is of the same stripe as before:

20.12, top third p. 25 [48/510], section number ‘4’ omitted
Thanks, Erin.

Section 2, for spot PL
Newgatenovelist

Section 2 is spot PL OK.

There are four notes for section 3:

23.24-23.31, p. 39, penultimate para of sect 4, omission
Sarony took him first in his seal-skin cap, [then bareheaded in his long trousers,] then bareheaded in his knee breeches.

24.00, p. 39, section ‘5’ omitted

32.55-33.03, start second para p. 43
Outcries [heard outeries (?)] were being heard against the secret arrangements by which the railroads were assisting Andrew Carnegie…

35.03-35.05, bottom p. 43
In 1881 [heard 1882]…
Newgatenovelist

Section 3 is spot PL OK. I'm not moving very quickly, but I am enjoying this. The next section has a pretty good title, too.
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 4:

5.31, top p. 46, section ‘2’ omitted
Newgatenovelist

Section 5 is PL OK. It feels like gossip, hearing about Stoddart and Lippincott at that dinner party more than 130 years ago, but I like it even if it is.
Newgatenovelist

Section 7 is PL OK.

I'm not sure if you were thinking of uploading the pdf at some future date, but a couple of pages were omitted at the end of the chapter. It's not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Hi Erin,

I am just checking in to let you know that I am moving house next week: I had hoped to get some more recording done this past month, but I've been a bit busy. I will get back into it in March.
Newgatenovelist

Thanks for letting me know. Moving is a quite an upheaval, so good luck with all that goes with it! This will be here for whenever you're able to resume, no worries.