[Question] Tale without a name by Penelope Delta in Greek

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
rapunzelina

[Question] Tale without a name by Penelope Delta in Greek

Post by rapunzelina »

I didn't know where else to post my question.

I'm interested in recording a greek book, titled in English "Tale without a name" or in Greek "Παραμύθι χωρίς όνομα"
I managed to find a pdf version in a site.
Penelope Delta died in 1941. This book was first published in 1910, though the pdf I found is a newer edition from 1993.

The site itself states:
* not subjected to copyright (under intellectual property law). This is either because the authors send the material straight to 24grammata.com or 70 years have passed since the author has passed away. In any case if there is a beneficiary that decides to change his mind, 24grammata.com commits to remove the eBook immediately. These free eBooks were strictly selected among many other. Our associates work daily pro bono to scan and present, in a user friendly way, intellectual works from the Greek, English and Italian literature.
Please check http://www.24grammata.com/?page_id=6279

And on the web page of the ebook itself (here http://www.24grammata.com/?p=6588)
(I translated it from Greek, sorry if it's not very English accurate)
Penelope Delta
Since 01/01/2012 70 calendar years were completed from Penelope Delta's death. Her novels, according to greek and international law on copyright, don't belong to the economic exploitation of her legal heirs anymore. 24grammata.com had prepared this project since the summer of 2011, and presented it in July 2011, when 70 years had passed from Delta's death (she died on 2nd May 1941) but a legal representative of her heirs asked us to withdraw it, because the copyrights ended on 31/12/2011. We withdrew it and waited for the expiry of this time limit to present the works of P. Delta, free to the public. Have a pleasant reading.
So my question is, can I do it for legamus here? or even, can I do it for librivox since it was first publiched in 1910 (before 1923)?

Thanks and sorry for any trouble
Viktor

Re: [Question] Tale without a name by Penelope Delta in Gree

Post by Viktor »

Sounds like the text provider, 24grammata.com, did their work thoroughly. From what you wrote, it looks OK. Indeed, works enter public domain on the first day of the year following the 70th anniversary of the author's death.

The first part of the general statement "the authors send the material straight to 24grammata.com" probably refers to translations where the translators gave all permission. Some text collections have a stance like that (Gutenberg-DE too). It's debatable whether such work is public domain at all; it's more likely to be like CC0. The authors could change their mind about it, and while highly beneficial to the individual reader, neither Legamus nor LibriVox takes it. But if I understand right, the Penelope Delta text should be the original version, not edited by anyone, and therefore "really" free.

It might even be OK for LibriVox, but I have no authority to answer that question :)
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

Oh, thank you! I'll give it a try then and post in the launch pad within the week :D
Cori

Post by Cori »

I think it's okay for LibriVox too ... so up to you where you post it :)
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

Cori, thank you for the reply!

Hmmm, that's tempting! Then I'll post at Librivox and if it's not found safe there, I'll come back here :D

18 Sep. ETA: Well, another project came up (an urgent knitting one) so I'll put this on hold for the time being, because I'm not a very fast knitter :mrgreen:
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

Update! I did launch the project in LibriVox and it's moving on nicely :D
Cori

Post by Cori »

That's great!

What about the knitting? :D
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler
rapunzelina

Post by rapunzelina »

I'm knitting the last sleeve of the pullover now! I'm looking forward to posting images in librivox's knitting thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My final deadline is my partner's birthday mid-November, though I would have liked to have finished earlier as I'm afraid, "edits" will be needed! It's not that I'm not an experienced knitter, it's that I'm not a frequent knitter, and by the time I start a new project, I forget how to calculate the correct measurements from previous ones! (this can also happen in the same project; it's not impossible for me to knit one sleeve longer than the other since it takes me so long to knit them that I forget the numbers, even though I keep notes. And somehow the parts don't fit together. Weird! :? )
I love knitting! So unpredictable :lol: :D