Solo [SLOVAK] Janko Hraško by Pavol Dobšinský

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Solo [SLOVAK] Janko Hraško by Pavol Dobšinský

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Hi,
This is my first effort in Legamus. So i try to do my best :)
I don´t know how to proceed now. I fill some informations which I find in template. I already record the book Janko Hraško so I am looking for some publishing space.

Thanks for your response.

*** Beginning of list ***
Solo / Group project?: Solo
Book Title: Janko Hraško
Author: Pavol Dobšinský
Dates of birth and death of author: 1828 - 1885
Language: Slovak
Translator:
Dates of birth and death of translator:
Date of first publication: 1933
Wikipedia link to author: http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavol_Dob%C5%A1insk%C3%BD
Wikipedia link to book:
Number of sections the project will have: 4 section (include 4 folk tales)
Does the project have a preface that will be recorded as a separate section? no
Category (Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama): Slovak folk tales
Tags that describe the book (like: place, time, historical people/events, mystery, fairy tale, horror/ghost story, philosophy, ... :
Summary for the catalog (from Wikipedia or written by you): Janko hraško contains four Slovak folk tales including Johnny Little Pea, the story of a very small boy who has a big heart. The next 3 folk tails- Radúz a Ľudmila; Pani Mačička; Ružová Anička.
Online text source: http://www.childrenslibrary.org/icdl/Bo ... ng=English

For solo projects only:
Project license: Public domain

*** End of list ***
Viktor

Re: Solo [SLOVAK] Janko Hraško by Pavol Dobšinský

Post by Viktor »

Hello and welcome to our first Slovak reader!

That particular book might have been published in 1933, but if Dobšinský died in 1885 and it's not edited by someone else, it might be public domain in the US too and therefore compatible with LibriVox. If that's the case, I recommend you read it there. Legamus focuses on books which are public domain in Europe and other life+70 countries, but not in the US.
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Viktor wrote:Hello and welcome to our first Slovak reader!

That particular book might have been published in 1933, but if Dobšinský died in 1885 and it's not edited by someone else, it might be public domain in the US too and therefore compatible with LibriVox. If that's the case, I recommend you read it there. Legamus focuses on books which are public domain in Europe and other life+70 countries, but not in the US.
Hello :)

I try to publish Janko Hraško by Pavol Dobšinský in LibriVox, but it is not possible, because LibriVox can not accept the book from 1933 (only books before 1922). They recommended me Legamus like a best choice. Slovakia is an European country and it will be great to publish our folk tales here in Legamus (if it is possible).

Thanks for reply
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Ah, OK! For Legamus, it does not matter when the book has been published, as long as it's the original text and all authors/translators/editors have been dead for 70 years. So you're most welcome to publish Dobšinský's tales here. We're open to all life+70 countries.

I just wanted to make sure that books compatible with LibriVox do indeed go there. But I have to realise that I still don't understand US copyright... :roll: sorry for that.

Next question: do you have a proof-listener (PL)? Do you know anyone? To my knowledge, we don't have any other Slovak speakers here yet.
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Great :)
I asked my wife for help with prooflistener. She should sign into Legamus, if it is possible, and she can check the Mp3. I read and recorded the book Janko Hraško few days ago so I can upload it here.
About magic window, can I use a Google doc? I catch this technique here ;).
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Cool to see more stuff in one of Slavic languages :) (I'm from Poland, by the way).
haluška

Post by haluška »

Viktor wrote:Ah, OK! For Legamus, it does not matter when the book has been published, as long as it's the original text and all authors/translators/editors have been dead for 70 years. So you're most welcome to publish Dobšinský's tales here. We're open to all life+70 countries.

I just wanted to make sure that books compatible with LibriVox do indeed go there. But I have to realise that I still don't understand US copyright... :roll: sorry for that.

Next question: do you have a proof-listener (PL)? Do you know anyone? To my knowledge, we don't have any other Slovak speakers here yet.

Hi Viktor,
I sign-in to the legamus, because MEDIAMATIKA&KD needs some PL. Is it necessery to be a PL here? Or can I listen and correct Janko Hraško records individual out of this forum?
I hope it is comprehensible, because I am beginner in English.
Thanks for your answer.
Stanka from Slovakia
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Welcome Stanka! Thanks for joining us!

"Being a PL here" just means that you say: "I'll proof-read". You already did that :)

All you need to tell us is that the recordings are OK. How you get the files and when you correct them is completely up to you. We just need to know that the final versions of the files that MEDIAMATIKA&KD uploads have been proof-listened.

Usually, when the reader and the proof-listener are not at the same place, the reader uploads his file, the proof-listener gives her/his OK, and repeat for the next file. In your case, if MEDIAMATIKA&KD has already recorded everything and you can proof-listen, it suffices if the corrected files get uploaded.

Feel free to ask if anything is not clear :)

Greetings from France,
Viktor.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hello MEDIAMATIKA&KD,

if you already did the recording, then this won't matter much. But the one-minute-test that chocoholic recommended on LibriVox is actually very useful. I guess your recording is fine concerning technical quality (volume, background noise) - but if it isn't, it's very frustrating to learn that after one did lots of work.

You'll need to record a disclaimer and put it in front of each file. You want public domain? Then you take the license "Creative Commons Zero", which is as much public domain as you can get.

So, you want to put this sentence at the beginning of each file:
[Title by Author]. This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.
(if you wish: Read by [your name]*)
At the end of the recording please say:
End of [title]
(if you wish: Read by [your name]*)
* Put your name either at the beginning or at the end (or not at all, if you don't wish).

If you already recorded the files, adding such a text and putting it to the front and at the end of your recording is easy with Audacity, as long as you keep your original recordings in WAV or FLAC format (which you should always do).
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

And about the Magic Window - yes, it would be a Google doc, and it would be my duty to set it up. However, for solo projects we found that often it's not necessary.

If you wish, I create one. Or if you want to do it, go ahead.
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Hello Viktor,
I make some things. Is it sufficient?

for MW: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

I upload the tracks into GE.TT, (link is part of MW or click here: http://ge.tt/6rXRFNd?c)
Prooflistener: Haluška

Intro, Outro and Disclaimer for CC0:
This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.
(Intro and Outro is in Slovak language)

About recording:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Files save as:
128 kbps MP3
jankohraško_jankohraško_01_dobšinský.mp3
jankohraško_radúzaľudmila_01_dobšinský.mp3
jankohraško_panimačička_01_dobšinský.mp3
jankohraško_ružováanička_01_dobšinský.mp3

Title: Janko Hraško
Artist: Pavol Dobšinský
Album: Janko Hraško
Genre: Speech
Track Number:01

Title: Radúz a Ľudmila
Track Number:02

Title: Pani Mačička
Track Number:03

Title: Ružová Anička
Track Number:04

That´s all =)
If I forgot something please, let me know.
Have a nice weekend.

Andrej
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

I just had a quick look at the recording - the recording quality is excellent! No background noise on my headphones, and volume sounds also good.

Do I understand this right: the files you sent have already been prooflistened and approved by Haluška? If that is so, then you both have done everything - and I have to double-check metadata and volume, upload the files, and create a catalogue entry.
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Viktor wrote:I just had a quick look at the recording - the recording quality is excellent! No background noise on my headphones, and volume sounds also good.

Do I understand this right: the files you sent have already been prooflistened and approved by Haluška? If that is so, then you both have done everything - and I have to double-check metadata and volume, upload the files, and create a catalogue entry.

About PL- yes, it has been approved by Haluška (it means: listening, comparing audio and text book, find some sound crashes and so...)
So, it is a waiting time now. I am looking forward to see Janko Hraško on Legamus.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Great! Congratulations!

Edit: Your files were very well done so that I tried to be fast, too. The only things I modified:
* file names without accents - we never know on what old or broken software the files will get played;
* MP3 metadata: section names include the section number;
* MP3 metadata: "Comment" section includes the license (CC Zero).

Here is the catalogue entry. It is not yet visible for everyone, the password is simply "legamus".
You see that we need:
* Catalogue names of your proof-listener and you. You can use your real names, pseudonyms, or the forum names.
* Is "Slovenčina" correct for the language "Slovak" in Slovak ?
* If you want, you can translate the summary into Slovak: "Janko Hraško contains four Slovak folk tales including Johnny Little Pea, the story of a very small boy who has a big heart."
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Wow!

You are very fast :shock: . I expected long time process, but now it is close.
Missing information:
* Catalogue name of proof-listener: Stanka Ratulovská
* Catalogue name of reader (me) if it`s possible to include also name of university, where I study:
ŽILINSKÁ UNIVERZITA, Mediamatika a kultúrne dedičstvo, Andrej Konušík
*Yes, your Slovak is great :D "Slovenčina" is correct.
* Summary: "Janko Hraško contains four Slovak folk tales including Janko Hraško, the story of a very small boy who has a big heart (like in English folk tale "Tom Thumb")."
* Translation (Slovak):"Kniha Janko Hraško obsahuje štyri ľudové rozprávky zahrňujúce príbeh o malom chlapcovi s veľkým srdcom: Janko Hraško (podobný anglickej ľudovej rozprávke "Tom Thumb")"
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Good evening,

I'm not always so fast. Actually I feared I might not have the time in the following days, so I wanted to get it done ;)

It's a bit unusual to include the university - do you still want it to be like that in a few years? - but why not. I just put your name first and not all capitals.

Please have a final look at the catalogue page whether everything is correct. Then I'll make it public.
MEDIAMATIKA&KD

Post by MEDIAMATIKA&KD »

Hello,
I checked the catalogue page and everything is OK. I correct my magic window, because there were some mistakes, but you made it better, in catalogue then me.
Thanks for adding the University :)

Good luck
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

This project is now finished!

By the way, we did not need the MW at all. On Legamus, it is only needed for coordination during recording - so one can see in one glance what has been done and what is yet to do, particularly for group projects. You, however, had everything ready :)

Congratulations!