SOLO [English] The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald -vik

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
crowwings

Re: SOLO [English] The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald -

Post by crowwings »

Chapter 7 PL okay!
Took me a while, sorry.

with slow internet connections, which I had for several years, you have always the problem of unexpected set-offs, you get turned offline right at the end of a long download, and have to start all over again, if you don't use a download-manager. That's the main problem, when you have to wait for 10 min or so until a download is done. I avoided to download such large files, when I had that unreliable slow internet connection. And unfortunally here in Germany that is no exception, but the general case. That's what I meant by mentioning the large size of the file.
Ramona
"They are all dead, they just don't know it yet."
- Eric Draven

Crowwing's word counting tool
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

crowwings wrote:Chapter 7 PL okay!
Took me a while, sorry.
That's not a problem at all. Slight problem on my end though. In the past day or so I've realized that I mispronounced the name "Michaelis" every time I said it, and this isn't giving me any peace. The word occurs 8 times in the chapter, not at all in previous chapters, and luckily all occurrences but one are clustered on the same page, maybe 3 paragraphs. Would it be all right if I re-recorded those and asked you to PL them again? It wouldn't take very long... :oops:

While researching the various pronunciations, I noticed that the 4-syllable one I instinctively used is nearly correct for German (and so, probably for a few other languages). Unfortunately it's wrong for English (3 syllables), so I'm out of luck. :(

I well remember the problem of getting kicked offline in the middle of low-bandwidth downloads and how frustrating it was. But a file size of 60 to 70 Mb is tiny by today's measure, even for routine things like software upgrades, so I think people using telephone modems can be expected to have a strategy for restartable downloads. There are free and easy-to-use download managers that enable them to do this.

I took a break from recording while you were PLing Chapter 7, but I'll get started on Chapter 8 later today.

Martin
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

crowwings wrote:you get turned offline right at the end of a long download, and have to start all over again, if you don't use a download-manager.
Things might have become a little bit better: I also remember problems with resuming, but that was with FTP. With FTP, both the client and the server needed to support resuming. With today's HTTP, it's much more likely that both detecting an interruption and resuming will work out of the box. Though there is certainly some software that will still manage to mess up.
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

mreyto wrote:Would it be all right if I re-recorded those and asked you to PL them again? It wouldn't take very long... :oops:

While researching the various pronunciations, I noticed that the 4-syllable one I instinctively used is nearly correct for German (and so, probably for a few other languages). Unfortunately it's wrong for English (3 syllables), so I'm out of luck. :(

Whatever you think is necessary. Just tell me afterwards which exact range is affected and I spotcheck that area again. No prob! Sorry that I missed that.
As long as a name is pronounced the same way all over the book, it usually is no problem to have a little mispronounction, though. but to change or not to change, that's your decision here ... :D
Ramona
- Eric Draven

mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Chapter 7 is ready for spot PL:
Link to file: http://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/s ... gerald.mp3
Length: 60061272 bytes (57.279 MB) — Duration: 3753 seconds (1:02:33) — Bitrate: 128 kbps

There are two patches, a little over 3 minutes in total. Nothing else in the file has changed.

43:49 - 46:55
begin: "The young Greek, Michaelis...", end: "...she had stored for so long."
50:26 - 50:50
begin: "What happened? That's what I want to know...", end: "one comin', one goin', see?"
-------------------------------

Chapter 8 is ready for PL:
Link to file: http://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/s ... gerald.mp3
Length: 30409158 bytes (29.000 MB) — Duration: 1900 seconds (0:31:40) — Bitrate: 128 kbps

Martin
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

7 spot pl okay
8:
01.25... like pavilions and felt*click* over ...
06.07... the wicker of the settee*click* squeaked ...
23.19... *click*because he began saying "Oh, my God!" ...

oh, how sad :cry:
- Eric Draven

mreyto

Post by mreyto »

crowwings wrote:7 spot pl okay
8:
06.07... the wicker of the settee*click* squeaked ...

oh, how sad :cry:
I know... the last three chapters (7, 8, 9) are heartbreaking. They're like slowly waking up from a dream about being happy.

Chapter 8 is ready for spot PL:
Link to file: http://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/Y ... gerald.mp3
Length: 30409158 bytes (29.000 MB) — Duration: 1900 seconds (0:31:40) — Bitrate: 128 kbps

Chapter 9 is ready for PL:
Link to file: http://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/Y ... gerald.mp3
Length: 36006049 bytes (34.338 MB) — Duration: 2250 seconds (0:37:30) — Bitrate: 128 kbps
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

Downloading.
- Eric Draven

crowwings

Post by crowwings »

Chap 8
Two of the three mentioned clicks are still there
Do you want to leave them there?
- Eric Draven

crowwings

Post by crowwings »

There we go, one last click at the last chapter

26:38 ...Tom and Gatsby, Daisy and *click*Jordan an...

congratulations! :D
- Eric Draven

mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Ok, here's Chapter 8 again for the two clicks I missed (I'm pretty sure I got them this time, but let me know):
Link to file: http://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/8 ... gerald.mp3
Length: 30408740 bytes (29.000 MB) — Duration: 1900 seconds (0:31:40) — Bitrate: 128 kbps

And here's the (hopefully) fixed Chapter 9:
Link to file: http://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/8 ... gerald.mp3
Length: 36006049 bytes (34.338 MB) — Duration: 2250 seconds (0:37:30) — Bitrate: 128 kbps
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

CONGRATULATIONS!
Everything is PL okay now.
Great reading! Nice story.
You just have some homework left now, Viktor still needs some info or text like for the summary of the book!
He will tell you whatelse is missing.
Great job done, Martin!
Regards
Ramona!
- Eric Draven

mreyto

Post by mreyto »

crowwings wrote:CONGRATULATIONS!
Everything is PL okay now.
Great reading! Nice story.
You just have some homework left now, Viktor still needs some info or text like for the summary of the book!
He will tell you whatelse is missing.
Great job done, Martin!
Regards
Ramona!
Thank you, Ramona. I've enjoyed working with you on this book. You did a great job PLing. I'm happy that we've finished it, but also a little sorry that there isn't any more :)

For the summary, I wonder if it would be ok to use the first and third paragraphs of the Wikipedia article about the novel. Isn't everything there PD? It goes like this (with a few minor changes by me):
------------
The Great Gatsby follows a cast of characters living in the fictional town of West Egg on prosperous Long Island in the summer of 1922. The story primarily concerns the young and mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby and his quixotic passion for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan. Considered to be Fitzgerald's magnum opus, The Great Gatsby explores themes of decadence, idealism, resistance to change, social upheaval, and excess, creating a portrait of the Jazz Age or the Roaring Twenties that has been described as a cautionary tale about the American Dream.

First published by Scribner's in April 1925, The Great Gatsby received mixed reviews and sold poorly; in its first year, the book sold only 20,000 copies. Fitzgerald died in 1940, believing himself to be a failure and his work forgotten. His work, spearheaded by The Great Gatsby, experienced a revival during World War II, and the novel became a part of American high school curricula in the following decades. The book has remained popular since, leading to numerous stage and film adaptations. The Great Gatsby is widely considered to be a literary classic and a contender for the title "The Great American Novel". The book is consistently ranked among the greatest works of American literature.
------------
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

Thank you, Ramona. I've enjoyed working with you on this book. You did a great job PLing. I'm happy that we've finished it, but also a little sorry that there isn't any more
dito! :D oh, there are pleeeeenty of other books for the 70+ areas. I was thinking of a short story collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald for example? That way others could join the reading, too.
What do you think?
There is plenty of stuff by him on australia gutenberg org!
there are tons of other authors too, ... just pick one ;)

about wikipedia-summaries, they don't use it on Librivox anymore, yeah, PD reasons, if I understood it right. The same here, I guess. But that is up to Viktor anyway, he is the MC here on this project. 8-)
Have a nice day!
Ramona
- Eric Draven

Viktor

Post by Viktor »

I hope to get catalogue and downloader ready by tomorrow evening.

For Wikipedia - I'm not well-informed about the LV situation. Is it that the description must be PD as well on LV, and Wikipedia's licence is different? I'd be inclined to accept such a cited excerpt here, but maybe there are other opinions.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

I'm pretty sure I've seen Wikipedia text used on LibriVox publications. I haven't seen any discussion there about not using it any more, but there's a lot of discussion there that I haven't seen. It's possible that it was about a specific issue, not the general case.

I've just been reading Wikipedia's own guidelines. They specifically state that we don't have to ask them for permission to reuse because "permission to reproduce and modify text on Wikipedia has already been granted to anyone anywhere by the authors of individual articles as long as such reproduction and modification complies with licensing terms."

IOW, there are no country-specific restrictions. They caution about the special case where someone has uploaded unauthorized, copyright-protected content to Wikipedia. Their policy is to remove this on detection, but maybe not fast enough to stop it from being reused. This seems to refer to secondary sources used in original articles, and thus wouldn't apply here. What I used is all original text by the author of the article.

The licensing terms they refer to are here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... bligations

The applicable constraints seem to be these:
- Provide attribution (mention that our source was Wikipedia)
- Don't change/edit the text without indicating that we did so

Based on my own experience with PD content of my own creation that I've published on the Internet, I would guess that these are Wikipedia constraints, not legally binding ones. But it's a professional/collegial courtesy to do as they ask, and the second one would require me to take my minor stylistic edits out of the text (which wouldn't be a problem). It seems simpler than to have to say that minor edits were made, although I guess that could be done too.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Have one last look - the password is "legamus":
http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=441
then it can go public.

EDIT:
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote:Have one last look - the password is "legamus":
then it can go public.
Looks good to me, Viktor. Maybe list "jazz age" in the list of tags?

Thanks,
Martin
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

I'd like to keep the number of tags three or lower.
At the moment it is: "great american novel", "jazz age", and "love".
I removed the "roaring twenties", as it's close to "jazz age".
But if you want them any other way, no problem.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote:I'd like to keep the number of tags three or lower.
At the moment it is: "great american novel", "jazz age", and "love".
I removed the "roaring twenties", as it's close to "jazz age".
But if you want them any other way, no problem.
Oh, OK. In that case, the way it is now is just fine. :)