Congratulations!!! :D
"They are all dead, they just don't know it yet."
- Eric Draven

Crowwing's word counting tool
mreyto

Re: SOLO [English] The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald -

Post by mreyto »

crowwings wrote:Congratulations!!! :D
To you too! Job well done by all of us, I'd say. :)
scout

Post by scout »

From what I've briefly heard, this recording is well-read and clean (of background noise), Martin. In which case, well done! :)

I don't see genre(s) , but this surely must be my poor eyesight, what?

Daniel
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text. — scout
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

The catalog entry is tagged "great american novel", "jazz age" and "love"; is that the "genre" you mean?
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote:The catalog entry is tagged "great american novel", "jazz age" and "love"; is that the "genre" you mean?
Viktor, I notice that Gatsby is the only item that comes up for searches on any of those tags. Maybe replacing one of them with something more encompassing like "Literature" would give it more of a genre designation? Just a thought.

Daniel, thanks for your comments on the narration. I tried to have a look at the audiobook offerings linked to in your sig, but it seems your blog is open by invitation only. Any chance you might invite me? :)

Martin
scout

Post by scout »

Viktor wrote:The catalog entry is tagged "great american novel", "jazz age" and "love"; is that the "genre" you mean?
Well, Viktor, 'Fiction' and 'Literature' come first to mind, the latter because this work is generally considered a 'classic'.

Daniel
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text. — scout
scout

Post by scout »

mreyto wrote:Daniel, thanks for your comments on the narration. I tried to have a look at the audiobook offerings linked to in your sig, but it seems your blog is open by invitation only. Any chance you might invite me? :)
Sure, Martin, I'll send you a PM when I've lasted up "Gatsby", which will be soon now that I've finished editing/compiling and creating a cover image for the M4B version. Mind you, PM stands for Private Message, which I expect people to respect. ;)

Daniel

ETA: I've opened up my blog to the general public again, Martin. It will stay that way for a while, but not for too long so that I might deter those people who will grab it all for their own web/blog use.

Daniel
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

mreyto wrote:Viktor, I notice that Gatsby is the only item that comes up for searches on any of those tags. Maybe replacing one of them with something more encompassing like "Literature" would give it more of a genre designation? Just a thought.
When we thought about tags, the conclusion was that we avoid overly broad categorisations. Nearly anything we record is literature, and most of it is fiction. The ideal tag matches some books, but not too many. "Horror" is big because of all the Lovecrafts. As there are not that many books so far, many have tags that only match them. Will only get better with time! ;) It might rest the only "great american novel" for some time to come, but for "love" there could be competition.

The search function should also search through the whole description, so it should find anything written in there.

That said, Martin, if you think other tags would be better, I'll change it to whatever you prefer.

As for the "literature", there are two books in that category, but I think I'll change that; their entries are old - before we discussed tags in more detail - and there are not more nor less literature than Gatsby is.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote:When we thought about tags, the conclusion was that we avoid overly broad categorisations. Nearly anything we record is literature, and most of it is fiction. The ideal tag matches some books, but not too many. "Horror" is big because of all the Lovecrafts. As there are not that many books so far, many have tags that only match them. Will only get better with time! ;) It might rest the only "great american novel" for some time to come, but for "love" there could be competition.

The search function should also search through the whole description, so it should find anything written in there.

That said, Martin, if you think other tags would be better, I'll change it to whatever you prefer.

As for the "literature", there are two books in that category, but I think I'll change that; their entries are old - before we discussed tags in more detail - and there are not more nor less literature than Gatsby is.
I didn't realize that the search went through the description as well as the tags. I also notice now that Gatsby comes up as one of a group for the search word "novel" alone, which may be the best genre designation of all as it's both "fiction" and "literature." So I think the status quo gives us the best of both specific and broad, and see no reason to change anything.

Martin
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

scout wrote:ETA: I've opened up my blog to the general public again, Martin. It will stay that way for a while, but not for too long so that I might deter those people who will grab it all for their own web/blog use.

Daniel
Hi Daniel. I didn't see this addition to your earlier post until yesterday, as I'm usually drawn here by email notification of new posts and there's no notification for edits. But I've had a chance to visit your blog now, and want to thank you for the opportunity. I enjoyed browsing the M4B titles. I like the cover art and the short intros to the narrators. (I do need to point out a typo in my name though, just in one spot in the intro to me, where it appears as "Refto".)

Thanks for the work you're doing.
Martin
scout

Post by scout »

Thanks for your kind words, Martin. Sorry about the misspelling of your name, which is now corrected.

Let me know if you wish to download any of the audiobooks listed on my blog.

Daniel