Solo [ENGLISH] Homage To Catalonia by George Orwell

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
LCaulkins

Re: Solo [ENGLISH] Homage To Catalonia by George Orwell

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Adrian :) My notes are quite minor:

Section 8 is really great. Its only thing is that the opening silence is just under 1/4 second. Don't know if that's actually an issue.

In Section 9, did you want the pause at 14:52 to be as long as it is?
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

LCaulkins wrote: Thu 30. Nov 2023, 05:51 Hi, Adrian :) My notes are quite minor:

Section 8 is really great. Its only thing is that the opening silence is just under 1/4 second. Don't know if that's actually an issue.

In Section 9, did you want the pause at 14:52 to be as long as it is?
Hi Lynette, Thanks very much for the proof listening. PL Notes updated. New copy of Chapter 9 uploaded. How long would you like the opening silence on Chapter 8 to be? I'm quite happy to change it
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey there :)

I'd say between .5 and 1 second for the lead silence, going by LV parameters.

I only noted Section 8's lead, because the LV audiobook I'm currently playing for my recreational listening during chores has zero lead silence on many chapters, and various amounts of the intro get cut off by the playing software each time. I usually don't get to hear which chapter it actually is. :lol:
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

LCaulkins wrote: Thu 30. Nov 2023, 21:52 Hey there :)

I only noted Section 8's lead, because the LV audiobook I'm currently playing for my recreational listening during chores has zero lead silence on many chapters, and various amounts of the intro get cut off by the playing software each time. I usually don't get to hear which chapter it actually is. :lol:
Okay, thanks - I’ll get that done tomorrow 👍
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Life has rather got in the way since 30 Nov but I’ve now uploaded a new version of Chapter 8. Mind The Gap … :D I hope it’s okay
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

afinevoice wrote: Wed 13. Dec 2023, 23:40

Life has rather got in the way since 30 Nov but I’ve now uploaded a new version of Chapter 8. Mind The Gap … :D I hope it’s okay
Hey there, Adrian :) Boy, I keep forgetting this month to check this site. :(

Hey, chapter 8 - the lead silence is great now. But also, for some reason, the track's volume is much lower than before. It's something like 84.9 now, needing a fair bit of amplification.

Hope your month is busy for fun things and that Life is treating you well enough! Currently can't complain much on this end. Just busy trying to square things away.
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

When you save audio in the latest version of Audacity there’s a new feature and something like ‘trim any blank audio at the start of the track’ is ticked by default when you save. This might have been what was happening with this narration.
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ahhhh I haven't updated to that yet. I'm 4 chapters away from finishing a long DR novel's editing, and hadn't wanted to mess with my Audacity until that was squared away. :lol: I'm tech-challenged enough to start with, without new features/quirks/bugs complicating things.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

afinevoice wrote: Tue 19. Dec 2023, 19:57
When you save audio in the latest version of Audacity there’s a new feature and something like ‘trim any blank audio at the start of the track’ is ticked by default when you save. This might have been what was happening with this narration.
Hey there - I still get only 84.9 on ch. 8's dB reading.
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Um. try again? MP3 Gain tells me this one is 89.53. And I uploaded Chapter 10.
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi Lynette, hope you are keeping well. I have had another attempt at amending the volume on chapter 8. I probably said previously but chapter 10 is ready for PL and as for chapter 11 well It has been hard going (death by abbreviation) but I have finally completed reading and uploaded it for your PL. https://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/ ... orwell.mp3 I look forward to the outcome of your deliberations. I feel we are finally creaking towards the finish line.
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I really enjoy the content of this book. :)

Chapter 10 is great (ignoring that Checker complaint about the length), but if you'd like to give a little look-over between 36 minutes and 40 minutes, there are a few spots where I think there are longer pauses than you like.

And I am convinced that Chapter 8's file has a hex on it! Now it comes up with 89.5 volume, but has red flags for bit rate to be 128, to be constant rather than variable, and to be mono not stereo. But let me download it freshly and rescan it!
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

I’ll check out those things you said about chapter 8 tomorrow and get back to you. I know what you mean it’s just behaved very badly, I think it’s cursed as you say but I’ll check it tomorrow
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yeah, I just did a refresh, a new download, and still gets those readings on ch. 8. Weird file!! :twisted:
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

I think I’m going to have to maybe read chapter 8 again and re-record it.
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

LCaulkins wrote: Tue 16. Jan 2024, 15:57 Yeah, I just did a refresh, a new download, and still gets those readings on ch. 8. Weird file!! :twisted:
OK... it's now mono, constant and 128kb! Thing was after the previous problems I opened it in another audio program, saved it and obviously not chosen the correct options. Oh well I'm sure it'll be okay this time :)
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

LCaulkins wrote: Tue 16. Jan 2024, 00:39 I really enjoy the content of this book. :)

Chapter 10 is great (ignoring that Checker complaint about the length), but if you'd like to give a little look-over between 36 minutes and 40 minutes, there are a few spots where I think there are longer pauses than you like.

And I am convinced that Chapter 8's file has a hex on it! Now it comes up with 89.5 volume, but has red flags for bit rate to be 128, to be constant rather than variable, and to be mono not stereo. But let me download it freshly and rescan it!
working on Chapter 10 ... I noticed a bit of repetition
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

afinevoice wrote: Tue 16. Jan 2024, 20:17
LCaulkins wrote: Tue 16. Jan 2024, 00:39 I really enjoy the content of this book. :)

working on Chapter 10 ... I noticed a bit of repetition
Oh, Gosh, I was getting interrupted a lot yesterday while I was running it. I'm sorry I didn't have a good time stamp for you.

The abbreviations in this book are insane, eh? I never did get the hang of tracking them in a sensible way. :lol:

It's all a very interesting account and point of view, though.

And good news: Chapter 11 is PL OK :ugeek:

As is that character, ch. 8! :ugeek:
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Would you check the gaps on chapter 10 please, as I have truncated them I think
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Please find chapter 12 attached for PL https://upload.legamus.eu/simple/files/ ... orwell.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian